[simpits-tech] F-15C project relaunch!

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Jan 30 06:37:20 PST 2023

On Sun, 29 Jan 2023, RAY SOTKIEWICZ wrote:

> Gene,
>
> I was just thinking the other day if "Gene will ever get to that F-15 in
> his warehouse". I'm really happy to hear that you are diving in again.

Ok, my workshop is big, but it's not THAT big. :D  Thanks!

> I've also struggled with ADHD my entire adult life which as you know, is
> incredibly challenging. I've also learned a ton of things over the years
> but I think the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none" comes into
> play here. Thanks for sharing that with us.

YW!

> I've developed an internal narrative that keeps me in check (mostly).
> When I start straying from my original project goal, that voice kicks in
> and helps to get me refocused.

They can have my Adderall XR when they pry it from my cold, dead, hands.
;)

> All that aside, what a great time to be alive! All this different
> technology that finally enables us builders to realize our dreams. I've
> been flying X-Plane for years after Microsoft pulled the plug on FSX. I
> even swore that I'd never go back to Microsoft, no matter what they
> produced.
>
> Well... here we are. X-Plane 12 has fallen short of many expectations
> and it's becoming increasingly difficult to ignore what Asobo Studios is
> doing. Add DCS to the mix and you have some great opportunities ahead.
>

>From what I've heard from Wayne, MSFS still isn't doing multi-monitor
correctly and until that happens, he really can't use the new version on
the collimated display.

I've been dragging my feet on any sim software purchases - I wanted to see
what shook out and the video card market has also kept me at bay.
My existing sim computer is a 2016-era machine with an i5 & a GTX 1080 (or
it was until I robbed the gpu for my current workstation).  I recently
purchased all the parts to build a mondern monster based around the AMD
7950X and RTX 4090.  I'm putting it into a Fractal Design Pop Air XL case
that I'm repainting.  I'm going with the Compass Ghost scheme that the
Eagle uses.  I couldn't make myself paint the glass side panel, so only
one side of the case is getting the tail flash. :)

> I figure I have about 10, maybe 15 years (if I'm lucky) of brain power
> left before I'm drooling out the side of my mouth, wondering what
> "wings" are for.

Hehe.  With my current project list, I'll have been dead at least 10 years
before the last one is complete, and that's assuming I don't add anything
else. ;)

> To that end, and due to (almost) unforeseen circumstances, I was laid
> off Jan 4th from Salesforce as a senior developer. I worked on ETL/ELT
> data workflows using a wide array of technologies but truth be told I
> was going to retire this year anyway.
>
> Which leads me to this: We're not getting any younger and I feel a
> renewed urgency to complete this journey before time robs me of
> everything I've learned over the years.

Time pressure is a real thing, that's for damn sure.

> Gene, if you ever need any help, let me know. I've only met you once in
> person but I remember that time fondly. I'm so sorry for the loss of
> your friend. Our own little group up here lost a dear friend last April
> and to this day it affects us all. He and I were meeting nightly on
> Skype to help him build a King Air 350i and on April 2nd I called him on
> FB, like every other night, and instead his wife answered, relaying the
> news. It was devastating.

I'm sorry to hear that. :(

> I look forward to your progress, Gene. If you ever need help or just
> someone to share a beer with, I'm only a few hours away and happy to
> make the trip.

You're welcome to swing by any time you like! (and I've got some things on
the way that you're definitely going to want to see in person. :D )