[simpits-tech] F-15C project relaunch!

RAY SOTKIEWICZ raysot at comcast.net
Sun Jan 29 22:23:01 PST 2023

Gene,

I was just thinking the other day if "Gene will ever get to that F-15 in his warehouse". I'm really happy to hear that you are diving in again.

I've also struggled with ADHD my entire adult life which as you know, is incredibly challenging. I've also learned a ton of things over the years but I think  the phrase "Jack of all trades, master of none" comes into play here. Thanks for sharing that with us.

I've developed an internal narrative that keeps me in check (mostly). When I start straying from my original project goal, that voice kicks in and helps to get me refocused.

All that aside, what a great time to be alive! All this different technology that finally enables us builders to realize our dreams. I've been flying X-Plane for years after Microsoft pulled the plug on FSX. I even swore that I'd never go back to Microsoft, no matter what they produced.

Well... here we are. X-Plane 12 has fallen short of many expectations and it's becoming increasingly difficult to ignore what Asobo Studios is doing. Add DCS to the mix and you have some great opportunities ahead.

I figure I have about 10, maybe 15 years (if I'm lucky) of brain power left before I'm drooling out the side of my mouth, wondering what "wings" are for.

To that end, and due to (almost) unforeseen circumstances, I was laid off Jan 4th from Salesforce as a senior developer. I worked on ETL/ELT data workflows using a wide array of technologies but truth be told I was going to retire this year anyway.

Which leads me to this: We're not getting any younger and I feel a renewed urgency to complete this journey before time robs me of everything I've learned over the years.

Gene, if you ever need any help, let me know. I've only met you once in person but I remember that time fondly. I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend. Our own little group up here lost a dear friend last April and to this day it affects us all. He and I were meeting nightly on Skype to help him build a King Air 350i and on April 2nd I called him on FB, like every other night, and instead his wife answered, relaying the news. It was devastating.

I look forward to your progress, Gene. If you ever need help or just someone to share a beer with, I'm only a few hours away and happy to make the trip.

-Ray