[simpits-tech] N1 & N2 Gauges

David C. Allen dca911t at gmail.com
Mon Aug 7 11:04:58 PDT 2017

Hello
I was wondering if anyone has used a Arduino to get the N1 & N2 gauges
operational?

>From the information I have found there is a 3 phase generator for the N1 &
N2 mounted on the engine. The gauges have a 3 phase motor connected to a
flux coupling (like is used in a mechanical speedometer) to drive the
pointer. Once the engine is operating the N1 & N2 are self powered.

I found a chart that lists the generator RPM vs Indicator % RPM

0 gen = 0 %RPM
840 gen = 20 %RPM
2520 gen = 60 %RPM
4200 gen = 100 %RPM

So a question on frequency of the generator, would vary with generator RPM

Looking at one leg of the generator

0 gen = 0 Hz = 0 %RPM
840 gen = 14 Hz = 20 %RPM
2520 gen = 42 Hz = 60 %RPM