[simpits-tech] FreeCAD

cyplesma at aol.com cyplesma at aol.com
Wed Oct 1 11:09:46 PDT 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: geneb <geneb at deltasoft.com>
To: Simulator Cockpit Builder's List <simpits-tech at simpits.org>
Sent: Wed, Oct 1, 2014 1:32 pm
Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] FreeCAD

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014, cyplesma at aol.com wrote:

>> My favorite program was called DesignCAD 3D. it was cheap (not free,
>> ~100.00 USD, far less then autocad) during the Windows 3.11 days. The
>> best thing about it was the devs included a BASIC language program
for
>> it. Sadly the upgrade for Windows XP did not include that feature,
and
>> I don't think the latest greatest version does either. But the
original
>> company was bought out and afterwards the newer programs have kept
>> their inexpensive price but still no programming language.
>>
>> I still use the one upgrade I bought (~70.00 circa 2000), but seems I
>> might need to upgrade again.
>>
>You should check out DraftSight.  It's basically a Dassault-Systemes
(the
>Catia & SolidWorks guys) clone of AutoCAD, and you can download it and
use
>it for free.

just watched a youtube video, very  very similar to design cad.
designcad does have a very nice set
of import/export options, I can't say I ever had a problem with any
.dwg or other file format. Haven't tried .stl though, no need yet.

>> Nice thing about the programming language is you could provide a
series
>> of inputs and then the program would create the object. I think back
in
>> the mid/late 90's Home Depot used an application developed with the
>> programming language to create decks with. They use some internal web
>> based version now connected to their catalog of parts.
>>
>I suspect if they've done a complete clone job, DraftSight supports
Visual
>Basic for Applications and possibly LISP.

The PRO version does support other languages. I'll have to see if I can
connect design cad's dll to a .net program. The original design cad you
just had to use a notepad to create your program and then run it with
an exe provided.

>> I used a SpaceBall on a unix cad system, was definitely very nice,
but
>> back then I was big on track balls, not the logitech thumb ball
design
>> (don't like those), but the cue ball sized palm design, which are a
lot
>> nicer then using a mouse for 3D or 2D drawing (IMHO). But those have
>> become just as expensive as the Space Pilot/Navigator tools.
>>
>When doing 3D design, having the SpacePilot or Navigator is a MUST.
You
>draw with your mouse and manipulate the model with the SpacePilot.
You
>can find them on eBay for dirt cheap, especially the SpacePilot.  A
lot of
>them are coming off leases as companies move to the SpacePilot Pro and
>they can be had around $50-$80.

True enough about those tools, the space ball did the same, it's been
since the late 90's since I used it.
And for the price of what I call a track ball they are more then the
Space controllers. So if I do buy any of them I'll
go with the Space controller instead of the track ball at those prices.

thanks

>g.

Catia use dot be a Chrysler favorite as well. GM used to use