[simpits-tech] FreeCAD

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Wed Oct 1 12:26:02 PDT 2014

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014, cyplesma at aol.com wrote:

> (the
>> Catia & SolidWorks guys) clone of AutoCAD, and you can download it and
> use
>> it for free.
>
> just watched a youtube video, very  very similar to design cad.
> designcad does have a very nice set
> of import/export options, I can't say I ever had a problem with any
> .dwg or other file format. Haven't tried .stl though, no need yet.

Design CAD clones AutoCAD as well. :)

I would HIGHLY recommend you do NOT attempt to do 3D design in tools like
DraftSight, TurboCAD, DesigCAD, etc., that are primarily 2D drawing tools.
You'll regret it. :)

>>> Nice thing about the programming language is you could provide a
> series
>>> of inputs and then the program would create the object. I think back
> in
You should check out OpenSCAD.  It's basically a crappy programming
language that masquerades as a 3D design tool.  Some people like it
though.  (I'm not one of them.)

> True enough about those tools, the space ball did the same, it's been
> since the late 90's since I used it.
> And for the price of what I call a track ball they are more then the
> Space controllers. So if I do buy any of them I'll
> go with the Space controller instead of the track ball at those prices.

A track ball is nothing more than an upside down mouse with a HUGE ball in
it.  It's nothing like a Space Pilot/Navigator/Ball.