[simpits-tech] FreeCAD

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Wed Oct 1 10:32:52 PDT 2014

On Wed, 1 Oct 2014, cyplesma at aol.com wrote:

> My favorite program was called DesignCAD 3D. it was cheap (not free,
> ~100.00 USD, far less then autocad) during the Windows 3.11 days. The
> best thing about it was the devs included a BASIC language program for
> it. Sadly the upgrade for Windows XP did not include that feature, and
> I don't think the latest greatest version does either. But the original
> company was bought out and afterwards the newer programs have kept
> their inexpensive price but still no programming language.
>
> I still use the one upgrade I bought (~70.00 circa 2000), but seems I
> might need to upgrade again.

You should check out DraftSight.  It's basically a Dassault-Systemes (the
Catia & SolidWorks guys) clone of AutoCAD, and you can download it and use
it for free.

> Nice thing about the programming language is you could provide a series
> of inputs and then the program would create the object. I think back in
> the mid/late 90's Home Depot used an application developed with the
> programming language to create decks with. They use some internal web
> based version now connected to their catalog of parts.

I suspect if they've done a complete clone job, DraftSight supports Visual
Basic for Applications and possibly LISP.

> I used a SpaceBall on a unix cad system, was definitely very nice, but
> back then I was big on track balls, not the logitech thumb ball design
> (don't like those), but the cue ball sized palm design, which are a lot
> nicer then using a mouse for 3D or 2D drawing (IMHO). But those have
> become just as expensive as the Space Pilot/Navigator tools.

When doing 3D design, having the SpacePilot or Navigator is a MUST.  You
draw with your mouse and manipulate the model with the SpacePilot.  You
can find them on eBay for dirt cheap, especially the SpacePilot.  A lot of
them are coming off leases as companies move to the SpacePilot Pro and
they can be had around $50-$80.