[simpits-tech] (no subject)

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Jun 5 07:23:42 PDT 2014

On Wed, 4 Jun 2014, Matt Bailey wrote:

> Now this is interesting info! The Sabreliner has a lot of DC lighting
> on its dimmers, but the edge-lit stuff and instrument lighting is 400hz
> AC. I haven't decided yet, but I'm thinking of going DC on everything,
> which will require a replacement of the AC dimmers.

Are you sure it's DC?  As it was explained to me, aircraft primarily use
AC due to a phenomena called "DC notching" (or filament notching).  This
can reduce the effective lifetime of a bulb by 70% or more.  In our sims
it's not that big of a deal since they're not on for hundreds or thousands
of hours at a time.

> Or, I may just try to track down a static inverter with the same
> pinouts and connector as the existing rotary inverter.......I have
> discovered there IS an "upgrade" for Sabreliner 60s in service, which
> means there's probably some sort of inverter out there that will just
> plug in.

I'd save your money and only use the 400Hz power sources for things like
synchros that absolutely require it.