[simpits-tech] (no subject)

Matt Bailey dabigboy at cox.net
Wed Jun 4 20:10:46 PDT 2014

On Wed, 4 Jun 2014 14:16:20 -0700 (PDT)
geneb <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Jun 2014, raysot at comcast.net wrote:
>
> > ..that being the problem, I 'll need to rewire the entire sim.
>
> Well get on it, we'll wait. :)
>
> I found out this week that there IS a way to rebuild the interior
> lighting control panel in order to use it.  The panel controls the
> brightness of all the instruments and edge-lit panels.
>
> It turns out that you can use a little part called an LM317.  It's an
> adjustable voltage regulator that'll do 1.5A.  You feed it 6V or so
> and you can use a 1K pot to adjust the output voltage.  If you put a
> pile of them in parallel you can handle more current.  They're good
> up to an input voltage of 40VDC.  The cool thing is that they're
> about .35c each from Jameco.
>
> Unfortunately, I found out about this AFTER I mapped the connections
> I could use and then wired it in to the "master" cannon plug for the
> right side console.  Now I've got to pull all the wires out of that
> connector so I can add the 8 or so wires that the pots will use.
> I'll pull the variable transformers and replace them all with pots.
> 1K is ok for 1.25-5V out, but I'll need to use another value for the
> 24V lighting.
>
> I'll post a schematic for both of the configurations when I'm done.
>
> g.

Now this is interesting info! The Sabreliner has a lot of DC lighting
on its dimmers, but the edge-lit stuff and instrument lighting is 400hz
AC. I haven't decided yet, but I'm thinking of going DC on everything,
which will require a replacement of the AC dimmers.

Or, I may just try to track down a static inverter with the same
pinouts and connector as the existing rotary inverter.......I have
discovered there IS an "upgrade" for Sabreliner 60s in service, which
means there's probably some sort of inverter out there that will just
plug in.

--
Matt Bailey

Keeping It Real: