[simpits-tech] castAR cockpit demo...

geneb geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Nov 14 12:56:46 PST 2013

On Thu, 14 Nov 2013, mgcollins at comcast.net wrote:

> Get a pair of the castar glasses and simply set them up on your
> computer, and then either:
>
> 1. with the 1x2 meter screen setup as your video screen, start your
> computer, then FS 10 and basically fly! Possily with enough screen
> material to have a wrap around screen?  and I'm assuming that the
> glasses would act as full immersion, i.e. you wouldn't need to swtich
> views like you do with a joystick, but rather where you look is where
> you would see with the idea being that past a certain point, the view
> would shift to what we would call "the front"...(hope I 'm explaining
> what I 'm asking correctly.)

The hitch in the gitalong (as it were) is that there isn't any native FSX
support.  Basically what FSX needs is a plugin that would allow you to
manipulate the view the same way TrackIR does it.  Once that plugin is
written, then you could stand in a dome made out of RR material and you'd
see what you should see, no matter where you look.

When April comes along, I'll be adding support to FlightGear for it and
that should give me enough information to know what needs to be done for
FSX and/or X-Plane.  I can't say for sure If *I* will write the plugins,
but I can just about guarantee that *someone* will.

> 2. With the add'l pair of glasses fly with a number of monitors setup as
> your wrap around environement...(also just curious, what adavantage do
> you think the glasses would proivde if you use your own monitors as
> opposed to the magic screen?)

What I would recommend is using a retro-reflective wrap-around for your
exterior views and your desktop LCD screens for the avionics.