[simpits-tech] Image warping (Was: Frustration!)

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Tue Feb 21 22:29:32 PST 2012

---- Cris Harrison <phoenixcomm at gmail.com> wrote:

> Matt
> Your idea, with the analog port; it will not work.
>
> I have seen people tare up the radio head and change all the wiring (If
> you really want to go through, and redesign the thing), when you have
> the pin-out! just get a connector and build a nice cable.
<snip>

Hmmmm I think I see part of my problem...I saw the resistor pack on the whole digits and just assumed the actual radio was reading the resistance value based on frequency selection....but then there should only be two terminals for the whole digits, while clearly there are more.

One of your diagrams just "clicked" for me now....by "2 of 5" you're saying that for one set of digits (tenths, for instance) there are 5 wires on the back of the Gables unit, and only two of those will be active at any given time? I think my particular unit uses one or two more wires, but I see what you're saying here. So my whole digits must be using the same kind of idea, I just didn't realize it at first.......so I'm guessing the resistors on the whole digits rotary switch are actually pull-down resistors? Hrrmm.....I am still a bit unclear, but the fog is slowly lifting. :)

I haven't hackerized the whole digits yet, perhaps I need to grab the multimeter and revisit them. Btw, the ONLY reason I am forced to cut into the wiring harness for the head is that the connectors are over $100 a piece....doesn't make much sense to spend $300+ for something that barely cost me $40. Even if I can make the original wiring scheme work, I will still have to cut into the wiring and use something other than the built-in connector. It does suck. :(

Matt