[simpits-tech] Image warping (Was: Frustration!)

Cris Harrison phoenixcomm at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 01:52:31 PST 2012

On 2/21/2012 12:41 AM, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:
> ---- Cris Harrison<phoenixcomm at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Hey Matt hang on there.. I just posted a new post about ARINC 410 and
>>> some proto info.. lots of info
>>> http://phoenixcomm.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/arinc-410interface/
> Thanks Chris, you have some good info there! Your chart looks really close to the JPG that Gables sent me.
>
>> BTW how in the world are you going to use a joystick controler???
>> Cris H.
> Well, call it a cave-man approach, but since I don't have an Arduino or similar unit yet, and since my microcontroller skills are most definitely in their infancy to say the least.....I am wiring the 8 inputs for the decimal place on NAV to 8 inputs on my Plasma V2 controller, with the Gables common lead going to VCC on the Plasma. With software, I simply check the status of each input, in order, and end up wiith essentially an 8-bit string that is unique for each frequency. I already have this part working within X-Plane.
>
> For the whole numbers, there are only 10 unique values, and the head uses a resistor pack. Two leads get different resistance values based on frequency. I was just going to wire this into one analog input and read its value to determine frequency. The problem I'm having right now is detailed in my other post....basically, the Plasma needs to see the ground terminal of the "potentiometer" in order to read it. Of course, there really is no ground terminal for the resistor pack...I think?
>
> At the end of the day I will be using 8 digital inputs plus one analog input for this and similar heads. I suppose that's really no worse than using 8 + 1 inputs of an Arduino, the only difference is the (extremely light) processing would happen on the Arduino instead of inside an X-Plane plugin on the PC. At any rate, the code is ludicrously simple this way.
>
> Matt

Matt
Your idea, with the analog port; it will not work.

I have seen people tare up the radio head and change all the wiring (If
you really want to go through, and redesign the thing), when you have
the pin-out! just get a connector and build a nice cable.

Ok.
If you have old Gables head its ARINC410.. a 2 of 5 code thats only
5bits per digit (not 8). and 5 digits.... per radio head.
I described ARINC 410 here
http://phoenixcomm.wordpress.com/projects/airinc-410/
then I showed 1 bit  here
http://phoenixcomm.wordpress.com/projects/radiointercom-system/g-4390/
and then my latest
http://phoenixcomm.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/arinc-410interface/ puts it
all together you could use a pc's bi-directional printer port and then
hang the interface off that.. but then
you will have to run the interface on the PC itself.. and my 'driver' is
just a few loops. and its not interrupt driven.
and the thing you have to remember in all this the radio head (the
gables unit), is LOW ACTIVE!!
this means the driver has to take the info that you send back to the
sim, and invert or logically NOT it..
in the 'driver' not the right word,  you must scan through each radio
then trough all 5 channels.
the way I designed the 'driver' or subsystem is that you only 'talk' to
the sim when you have something to say. that is to say when you the
pilot change the knob on the panel.