[simpits-tech] Leo's BU036 and encoders

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Sun Jul 31 22:44:12 PDT 2011

---- Sean Galbraith <Sean.Galbraith at pacificsimulators.com> wrote:
> I know the flash BU036X is set up for encoders via the configuration
> tool, but I understand the basic BU036 can talk to encoders as well.
> Has anyone ever used them in this way, or do I need to buy the 'X'
> version?  More bits for my "simple" project :-)

Great minds think alike!I I cheaped out and went for the basic version myself (partly because it was my first Bodnar product and I wanted to see if it would suit my needs), and it works great with encoders and the free encoder utility from Leo's page.

If I understand encoders properly, it's only just an alternating series of two different contacts...if you are writing your own input software, you can handle encoder inputs entirely through your software. Ergo, you can hook these things to something like a Phidget I/O kit, and still handle them, by using two of the kit's digital input pins.

> This "simple" sim is FS9 based, using stuff that I have kicking around
> the workshop.  It is a half cockpit deal, captain side only, based
> loosely on a corp jet/twin turboprop type using Saitek yoke and throttle
> quadrant, OpenRJ for the glass, and the kicker; it all fits into a
> cabinet so it can hide away :-)  My intention is to draw it all up,
> publish the plans and a how to on my simpits blog..   This has all come
> about because of a comment on a local FS forum, where someone stated
> that building any sort of cockpit was far too expensive and took up too
> much room for your "average" simmer to indulge in.  I took it as a
> challenge and so here we are, off to slay the dragon armed with some
> offcut mdf and old PC parts.... Should be a laugh!

Pics? Sounds kinda like what I'm doing at the moment, although I have a head-start on the structure part of it......I managed to get my hands on the high-quality, T6-aluminum complete instrument panel desktop shell that an actual avionics maker used to take to trade shows to demo their gear in. It even includes what appears to be a real yoke, with some aircraft-quality switches inside it. But it's really just a way for me to cut my teeth and get some experience under my belt for when I have more room, and run down to a local aircraft salvage yard and pick out a Learjet nose section to make into a sim........ :D We're lucky here, the local yard not only regularly parts out biz jets and turboprops, the owner is not only aware of simmers, but embraces the hobby and has worked with a lot of folks needing real shells or parts for recreational sims. I called him last year, and as soon as I mentioned "homebuilt flight simulator", he was all over it. :)

So far my little desktop sim has been just a little money, even less space, but a MOUNTAIN of TIME! It's taken me a year to get to the current stage, but I can fly it around now and work all my main controls except flaps (will be on the avionics/center panel), plus run the main electrical and ancillary systems and lights from real switches etc.

Matt