[simpits-tech] Leo's BU036 and encoders

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Sun Jul 31 22:48:54 PDT 2011

---- Gene Buckle <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:

> > You're not wrong.  Don't often see them and when you do, the price requires
> > the sale of a kidney or a spare testicle.
> >
> Yep.  The ones that Leo sells are somewhere near $40 USD each.
>
> g.

Don't know if this would work for the quantity of encoders you guys are needing, but a good source for encoders might be old junk radios on ebay. I haven't verified this yet, but the Apollo Loran I'm converting into a pseudo-scale GPS has what appears to be a standard rotary encoder on it, dual-concentric of course. I'm sure it cost far more new than I paid for the whole Loran. Look for dead or outdated navcomms etc that have like 2 to 4 encoders on them. Still pricey, but not bad if you can get the whole rig for under $30 shipped. Plus you get LED or LCD panels, pushbuttons, lights, internal components, etc as a bonus.

Look for Lorans, I think we sim builders are just about the only folks who want them now that the system has been shut down. Prices are great. :)

Matt