[simpits-tech] From idea to CNC - what software is used

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Jan 27 06:51:08 PST 2011

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011, Alex Wiebe wrote:

> I have found a script for Sketchup called CutList, but it spits out a
> picture to estimate raw material. If I have a triangle part or a part
> with a circle in it, that is missing from the picture. And besides,
> the picture is an extra step to get back into sketchup to feed the
> Phlatboyz script.

I've never heard of CutList before - does it best-fit your parts into
pre-defined sheet sizes in order to give you your material requirements?

> Is it do able with what I have (and I just need to do more reading) or
> am I missing some critical piece of software?
>
> Gene - what do you use to take an idea from thought to cut?

The process I use involves creating the flat parts in AutoCAD, then
bringing them into Inventor in order to verify fit, then from there I
"panelize" the parts to fit on a 4x8 sheet of material.  That step is done
in AutoCAD as well.  From there I use VCarve Pro to create the tool paths
for the ShopBot.

VCarve Pro has a _ton_ of post processors for various machine controllers.
I suspect that if there's not already one for EMC2 that you could pick a
generic g-code post and have it work just fine.

You can use the free version of TurboCAD to draw your flat patterns & for
the panelize process.  If SketchUp imports DXF you can use that for fit
checking if you want.  The bit you're not going to find for free (at least
that I know about) is what VCarve Pro does.  You can learn more about
VCarve Pro at http://www.vectric.com - they also sell a cut down version
called "Cut2D" that might meet your needs.

by the clean end.