[simpits-tech] From idea to CNC - what software is used

Alex Wiebe alex at flyinglow.ca
Wed Jan 26 21:18:14 PST 2011

So I'm in the process of building my own CNC machine, and am realizing
I have lots to learn. I turn here to a collection of hobbyists with
much experience.

Being on a limited budget (I think my machine has cost less than $200
to date), I am using google's sketchup to try and do the design work
for the thing(s) I want to build. I have the Phlatboyz plug in to
create g-code for simple 2D cutting guides and LinuxCNC (EMC/Axis)
driving the machine. This has worked to cut simple shapes.

I can draw a basic looking object with all the measurements set. But
getting that drawing to spit out a cutting guide that can be turned
into g-code is stumping me.

I have found a script for Sketchup called CutList, but it spits out a
picture to estimate raw material. If I have a triangle part or a part
with a circle in it, that is missing from the picture. And besides,
the picture is an extra step to get back into sketchup to feed the
Phlatboyz script.

Is it do able with what I have (and I just need to do more reading) or
am I missing some critical piece of software?

Gene - what do you use to take an idea from thought to cut?