[simpits-tech] Leo's BU036 and encoders

Brian Sikkema brian at Sikkema.us
Thu Aug 4 10:17:45 PDT 2011

> Matt with the Hakko you get what you get I dont think that you can
> change tips or heat ranges.
> Its like using a large soldering gun on a pcb. With the Metcal you have
> the heat range built in the tip.
> so you can use a fine point for a pcb, or for smt repair. And another
> heat range and tip for splices, etc. You will grow into the Metcal where
> the Hakko there is no growth. and If you get into unsoldering stuff
> guess what you buy the Unsoldering wand and tips. but then you need to
> provide a vacuum ( you can do that with shop air). Enjoy.
> Cris
Actually if you take a look at the page the Hakko Gene linked to has all
of that.... "Temperature: 200 - 480°C or 392 - 896°F" "*Note:* Both the
900M series tips and the T18 series tips will work with the FX-888."

I agree, it looks like it would be more than enough to do anything my
modest tinkering would require.

Brian