[simpits-tech] Leo's BU036 and encoders

Cris Harrison phoenixcomm at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 08:14:29 PDT 2011

On 8/1/2011 7:08 PM, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:
> ---- Roy Coates<roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk>  wrote:
>> On 1 August 2011 14:27, Gene Buckle<geneb at deltasoft.com>  wrote:
>>> Sean, I thought the only difference between the normal and the "X" version
>>> was the X version came with the screw terminal blocks....
>>>
>> AFAIK, that is indeed the case.  The screw terminals are actually 'push to
>> release' types and seem pretty nice.
>>
>> Didn't get a chance to hook anything up today, rushed off my feet.
> The fancy version has more input pins, which is why I would purchase it. I'm doing the diode thing right now but my project board has some weak solder joints (if I'd known the local wholesale tool shop had new soldering irons for $2.97 a piece I would have replaced my grotty one ages ago....). I wonder if you could do the diode thing with the bigger board and get MEGA inputs? :)
>
> Matt
Yo Matt
Stay away from cheep irons.... buy the most for your buck.  that Hakko @
sparkfun is ok but you can do MUCH better for that kind of $$$$.
I use a Metcal its a top line iron. a new system can cost a grand......
BUT look at EBAY
tips are all sizes including smt stuff. an you can buy them under $10.00
+ ship
but what you need is the wand
http://cgi.ebay.com/METCAL-MX-RM3E-ESD-SOLDER-PENCIL-CORD-PAD-USED-/250866835508?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a68d42034#ht_565wt_1139
<http://cgi.ebay.com/METCAL-MX-RM3E-ESD-SOLDER-PENCIL-CORD-PAD-USED-/250866835508?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a68d42034#ht_565wt_1139>
  power source (rf generator)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Metcal-SP200-Power-Supply-SP-PW1-10-/180702944511?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a12bc1cff#ht_500wt_1251
<http://cgi.ebay.com/Metcal-SP200-Power-Supply-SP-PW1-10-/180702944511?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a12bc1cff#ht_500wt_1251>

This is LONG term investment I have had mine for about 6 years. with
about dozen tips(elements with different heat ranges.
enjoy Cris.
www.phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim
phoenixcomm.wordpress.com