[simpits-tech] Leo's BU036 and encoders

Cris Harrison phoenixcomm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 07:49:06 PDT 2011

On 8/3/2011 8:13 PM, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:
> ---- Gene Buckle<geneb at deltasoft.com>  wrote:
>> Don't buy a $3 soldering iron.  You'll end up getting what you pay for.
>>
>> Go here: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10553
>>
>> Unless you get into pipe fitting or SMT work, this'll be the last iron you
>> need to buy.
> Yep, I know not to expect much from a $3 iron. :) It works OK for splicing wires together, but I tried repairing a motherboard the other night and it took a good 40mins to remove one cap and solder in the new one. :P It's just to get me by for a few more weeks (closing on a house at the moment...). Though frankly, I did not know exactly where to look for a GOOD iron. Thanks for the tip.
>
> Those Metcals Chris talked about sound interesting, but for what I do (wiring up lights&  switches, splicing, mounting components to project boards, basic repair of motherboards and monitors) I wonder how much of an advantage they would really have over the Hakko?
Matt with the Hakko you get what you get I dont think that you can
change tips or heat ranges.
Its like using a large soldering gun on a pcb. With the Metcal you have
the heat range built in the tip.
so you can use a fine point for a pcb, or for smt repair. And another
heat range and tip for splices, etc. You will grow into the Metcal where
the Hakko there is no growth. and If you get into unsoldering stuff
guess what you buy the Unsoldering wand and tips. but then you need to
provide a vacuum ( you can do that with shop air). Enjoy.
Cris