[simpits-tech] Leo's BU036 and encoders

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Wed Aug 3 18:13:33 PDT 2011

---- Gene Buckle <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:

> Don't buy a $3 soldering iron.  You'll end up getting what you pay for.
>
> Go here: http://www.sparkfun.com/products/10553
>
> Unless you get into pipe fitting or SMT work, this'll be the last iron you
> need to buy.

Yep, I know not to expect much from a $3 iron. :) It works OK for splicing wires together, but I tried repairing a motherboard the other night and it took a good 40mins to remove one cap and solder in the new one. :P It's just to get me by for a few more weeks (closing on a house at the moment...). Though frankly, I did not know exactly where to look for a GOOD iron. Thanks for the tip.

Those Metcals Chris talked about sound interesting, but for what I do (wiring up lights & switches, splicing, mounting components to project boards, basic repair of motherboards and monitors) I wonder how much of an advantage they would really have over the Hakko?

Matt