[simpits-tech] new screen...

dabigboy at cox.net dabigboy at cox.net
Mon Nov 29 13:55:34 PST 2010

---- Gene Buckle <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:

> > I will say this, even in multi-million dollar AF sims, I've yet to see
> > perfect edge-blending. But usually the rest of the display area is
> > immersive enough that you quickly forget about it.
> >
> Which sims are you referring to?  Collimated displays or the "pentagon"
> screen system used for sims like the F-15?

The daytime sims I recall at FlightSafety had no noticeable edges between displays, leaving me to guess at how many displays were actually running. Same for the older night sim (VITAL9, I think) although since it was night-only I could have easily missed the edge imperfections. I think VITAL9 uses some sort of lens in front of the pilots, unlike a modern projected collimated display. The newer day sims are all collimated against a spherical mirror, not unlike Gene's project, and look amazing.

Btw Gene, your screen just keepings getting better! I am anxiously following your developments. :) Once I get a bigger house, I will probably want to upgrade from my current monitor, and I have all but eliminated other options aside from some sort of genuine collimated display.

Hey Gene, quick thought for you. Have you considered going to something more advanced than even a high-end DLP or LCD projector? I'm thinking of the true-black issues we have with these systems. I was so used to my old CRT monitors that when I switched to LCD, the bright "darkness" surprised me. I suppose you would have to round up some old CRTs and rig up a fresnel lens system, basically a homemade project with a CRT instead of an LCD. Not sure how you would get the CRT bright enough though.

Matt