[simpits-tech] new screen...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Nov 29 03:43:48 PST 2010

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, Brian Sikkema wrote:

>>> So now that you're playing with the larger wrap-around, I have to ask -
>>> what approach are you taking to the joins between the projected images?
>>> Have you found an inexpensive method of doing the edge blending, or are
>>> you just going to fiddle with butting the edges together?
>>>
>> Until the Nthusim guys add edge-blending to their software, it'll have
>> to be done entirely by hand.  With the 15' screen, I overlapped the
>> screen edges by about 6" and then got it adjusted properly within the
>> Nthusim alignment grid.
>>
> Did you have much issue with the edges where you'd overlapped being too
> bright?

Not really.  Then again, those DIY projectors I built aren't that bright
to begin with.  I suspect I'll have to be a lot more precise with the new
projectors.

> I will say this, even in multi-million dollar AF sims, I've yet to see
> perfect edge-blending. But usually the rest of the display area is
> immersive enough that you quickly forget about it.

Which sims are you referring to?  Collimated displays or the "pentagon"
screen system used for sims like the F-15?

One thing I learned a long time ago, once you get into the mechanics of
flying the airplane, you completely forget how good/bad the scene
generator is.  The only time it's really important is for take-offs and
landings anyway. :)

by the clean end.