[simpits-tech] new screen...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Nov 29 10:49:23 PST 2010

On Mon, 29 Nov 2010, dabigboy at cox.net wrote:

>>> I will say this, even in multi-million dollar AF sims, I've yet to see
>>> perfect edge-blending. But usually the rest of the display area is
>>> immersive enough that you quickly forget about it.
>>>
>> Which sims are you referring to?  Collimated displays or the "pentagon"
>> screen system used for sims like the F-15?
>
> The daytime sims I recall at FlightSafety had no noticeable edges
> between displays, leaving me to guess at how many displays were actually
> running. Same for the older night sim (VITAL9, I think) although since
> it was night-only I could have easily missed the edge imperfections. I
> think VITAL9 uses some sort of lens in front of the pilots, unlike a
> modern projected collimated display. The newer day sims are all
> collimated against a spherical mirror, not unlike Gene's project, and
> look amazing.

The Vital II I worked with used individual displays (5 I think) along with
beam-splitter boxes and mirrors.  Night-time visuals only of course.

> Btw Gene, your screen just keepings getting better! I am anxiously
> following your developments. :) Once I get a bigger house, I will
> probably want to upgrade from my current monitor, and I have all but
> eliminated other options aside from some sort of genuine collimated
> display.

Don't eliminate that fast - we're still in a position of not being able to
give detailed instructions on how to build one.

> Hey Gene, quick thought for you. Have you considered going to something
> more advanced than even a high-end DLP or LCD projector? I'm thinking of
> the true-black issues we have with these systems. I was so used to my
> old CRT monitors that when I switched to LCD, the bright "darkness"
> surprised me. I suppose you would have to round up some old CRTs and rig
> up a fresnel lens system, basically a homemade project with a CRT
> instead of an LCD. Not sure how you would get the CRT bright enough
> though.

The optics would likely cost me more than the projectors.  Right now I'm
looking at right around $700 which when you add in the cost of a new TH2G
as well....  It makes one nauseous...

by the clean end.