[simpits-tech] Interesting news on the EECH front

William Segal catalina299 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 12:46:35 PDT 2009

Bill wrote

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Gene Buckle <geneb at deltasoft.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, William Segal wrote:
>
> >".
>
> You can stack as many video cards into a x86 (win or mac) machine as you
> have slots for and cards to fit them.
>
> The problem is that you're going to get GPU bound, CPU bound or I/O bound
> long before you hook enough displays to one computer to do any real work.
>
> The only way to *properly* do multi-screen video is with multiple
> computers.  A short cut way of doing that is having each machine use a
> TripleHead2Go.  That way you could use three machines and get 9 separate
> video sources.
>
> EECH doesn't have (but I don't think it'll take long) the ability to use
> multi-computer exterior views.  Both MSFS and FlightGear _can_ do this
> currently.  With MSFS it requires a program called WideView and FlightGear
> can do it natively.
>
> The real trick isn't showing the scenery, the hard part is making sure
> that objects and effects are correctly displayed on the client machines.
>
> g.

Gene

There is a System that is capable of that dual Quad Core 8000 level
Opterons
It's also capable of running 4 Geforce 295's or the new 305 which is not out
yet
and that is a preliminary number.

Cost is about $10,000 but that can handle it and today that kind of price is
not that
high when I see top end new systems on e-bay for $6,000

Regards

Bill