[simpits-tech] Interesting news on the EECH front

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Thu Mar 19 11:57:26 PDT 2009

On Thu, 19 Mar 2009, William Segal wrote:

> Bill wrote
>               Firstly I am no expert I am building a sim but that is about
> it. What your trying to do if I understand it correctly you can not do on a
> PC but you can do it on a Mac .  In X-plane I inquired about the
> capability of doing this. I inquired of my old friend Sergio
> Santagada about doing it. . He said "you can run up to eight monitors at
> one time on a Mac your only limitation in X-plane is video computing power".

You can stack as many video cards into a x86 (win or mac) machine as you
have slots for and cards to fit them.

The problem is that you're going to get GPU bound, CPU bound or I/O bound
long before you hook enough displays to one computer to do any real work.

The only way to *properly* do multi-screen video is with multiple
computers.  A short cut way of doing that is having each machine use a
TripleHead2Go.  That way you could use three machines and get 9 separate
video sources.

EECH doesn't have (but I don't think it'll take long) the ability to use
multi-computer exterior views.  Both MSFS and FlightGear _can_ do this
currently.  With MSFS it requires a program called WideView and FlightGear
can do it natively.

The real trick isn't showing the scenery, the hard part is making sure
that objects and effects are correctly displayed on the client machines.

OpenQM - A Multi-Value database for the masses, not the classes.
http://gpl.openqm.com - Get it _today_!