[simpits-tech] Cockpit demensions

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Sun Jun 8 09:52:04 PDT 2008

> I have an older copy of Auto Cad here. Probably 5 years old. Do you think
> that will do?

Anything newer than AutoCAD 2000 will work really well.  Even 2000 is
adequate for your purposes.

> I have run into quite a few sites where I can get gauge dimensions and
> placement, but the actual size and shape of the panel is the clincher.
> Doesn't have to be perfect, but since that's the first step in the project
> I'd like to be relatively close.

I'm working on updating the SimKits Cessna 172 panel drawing with a few
additional details.  The only data I don't have is the size for the center
radio stack section and the remaining right side panel.

> I was at an auction yesterday where there was an older 48" plot printer for
> sale. The kind that has a half dozen pens in a cradle/carousel. No-one bid
> on it and I think I could probably pick it up for 50 bucks. Leaving the
> auction and still seeing it standing there all lonely like in the corner
> gave me a nagging feeling. There were even several boxes of ink. Suppose
> it's worth bothering with?

It all depends on how old it is and whether or not you can get drivers to
use it.  I'd do some investigation via Google to find out whether or not
it's worth it.

If you've got a CAD drawing you'd like plotted, I can do it on the 'bot
for shipping & tube costs.  I can't run Jpegs or other graphics though -
it needs to be something I can convert to a CNC tool path.