[simpits-tech] Cockpit demensions

Freeman P. Pascal IV pascal at pascal.org
Sun Jun 8 10:48:58 PDT 2008

Rick Davis wrote:
> Freeman, Gene et all,
>
> I have an older copy of Auto Cad here. Probably 5 years old. Do you think
> that will do?

I'll send you my drawings in anther email.  You can see if your version
will read them.  I would be surprised if your copy couldn't read my DWG
files.  I'm not doing anthing special in them.
> I haven't used Auto Cad in 20 years, but I'm willing to muddle through.
>
> I have run into quite a few sites where I can get gauge dimensions and
> placement, but the actual size and shape of the panel is the clincher.
> Doesn't have to be perfect, but since that's the first step in the project
> I'd like to be relatively close.

An alternate approach I was looking until Gene stepped in, is to monitor
eBay and watch for instrument panels among the Cessna parts.  I tend to
want as close to original parts (ie. appearance and function) as I can
get for my pit.  Being a ham radio operator I also like working in
aluminum or steel for my frames and chassis.
> I was at an auction yesterday where there was an older 48" plot printer for
> sale. The kind that has a half dozen pens in a cradle/carousel. No-one bid
> on it and I think I could probably pick it up for 50 bucks. Leaving the
> auction and still seeing it standing there all lonely like in the corner
> gave me a nagging feeling. There were even several boxes of ink. Suppose
> it's worth bothering with?

Wow, depending on the condition of the printer I would have bought it.
I keep hoping to run across a a 48" plotter and/or color postscript
printer.  I never seem to have the luck that you or others have.  eBay
prices tend to be on the higher side of surplus and you never get a
chance to lay eyes on the equipment before you buy it.

> Rick

-Freeman