[simpits-tech] big changes...

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 08:10:36 PST 2008

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008, Gene Buckle wrote:

> > cou*ubuntu*gh.
> >
> I tried it once - nice desktop setup.  Because I don't use X Window at
> all, the distribution really donsn't matter as long as the core tools are
> good.  The "yum" application installer/maintainer is a very good tool.
> I don't know if Ubuntu uses that as well...

I'm using Ubuntu for all my production servers now. I don't use X either
since the servers are housed in a remote small building at the base of a
very high radio mast (satellite fed).  Ubuntu, being a Debian derivative,
uses apt-get etc, which I like.

> > I suppose you've now dragged us screaming and kicking into the 19th
> > century. A neat idea though - guess it'll force us to actually DO
> > something!
>
> Thanks.  It got to the point where I needed to either hit the power switch
> for good or do something with it.  Since I just don't have the time to
> provide content to the site, this was the best solution I could find.
>
> I'm just hoping I get more than one taker. :)  *waves at Sean*

I promise I'll write stuff up as I document the current sim build.

--

Roy Coates.
Dept of Engineering.
E-Mail: r.coates at liv.ac.uk