[simpits-tech] Using Pots for position sensing (part 2)

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Thu Dec 4 06:24:01 PST 2008

Using regular pots for poisition sensing is cheap and easy to do but there
is a problem in obtaining the full rotation (270 deg ?) of the pot unless
you build something like a gearbox or rack and pinion type affair.

I had a cunning plan... because I'm using the circuit boards from some
Logitech sticks, I wanted to get a 0 -> 100k reading from my pots without
having to jump through hoops to get the full rotation. My cunning plan was
to use 470k pots so that I only needed a partial rotation to get the
desired resitance.

But... wouldn't this draw additional current from the interface?

I'm having trouble getting my head around this today so wanted some other
(better) heads to consider it!!

Thanks,

Roy.

--