[simpits-tech] CRT/LCD backed gauges vs. mechanical gauges...

Freeman Pascal pascal at pascal.org
Sat Apr 26 21:46:32 PDT 2008

How many folks are using CRT or LCD backed gauges vs. servo/air wound
gauges?  What are people's opinion of both options?  Has anyone switch
from one to the other and why?

Due to the cost of each servo/air-wound based gauges and the
electronics to drive them, using a LCD behind the instrument panel is
tempting.  But, I'm particularly challenged to find a monitor that
will fit and handle all or just the primary flight gauges for my
Cessna 172 cockpit.  With a standard C172 panel I need a single
monitor with a minimum viewable area of 490.31 mm X 276.51 mm (for all
gauges) or 355.08 mm X 276.51 mm (primary flight gauges), or multiple
monitors.

A standard 17" LCD monitor and a standard 15" LCD monitor would handle
all the gauges with 2" overlap hanging out above the engine gauges.
Two 17"s will work with more overlap.

Servo gauges would allow me to run the yoke through the instrument
panel without alteration, but servo gauges suffer from price and
rotation limitations (can't do a barrel roll without having the servo
snap around).  Air gauges would work, but they are even harder to
find.  Anyone ever seen kits for building your own air wound gauges?

LCD backed gauges allow you to handle all the gauges you can get on a
single screen without additional electronics (maybe an extra graphics
card if needed).  The displayed gauges would not suffer from physical
limitations that server gauges would.  Although, on the C172 panel the
LCDs would be in the way of the normal yoke mounting and fuse panel.
One solution for this is to added a vertical space between the gauges
and the fuse/switch panel to accommodate the displaced yoke and fuse
panel.  This doesn't look too bad and only adds approximately 2" to
the vertical height of the cockpit.  I could use the extra space for
head set jacks and extra switches if needed.  If I use a 15" monitor
for the engine gauges I can move the LCD down a bit and reduce the
overlap sticking out above the edge.

It's all a bit frustrating if you want an authentic, realistic cockpit
layout that can be used as a trainer.  How are other folks dealing
with similar challenges with their own cockpits?

-Freeman