[simpits-tech] Wiring harness layout board...

Ben Jones bjones at pipecomp.com.au
Tue Sep 18 05:59:49 PDT 2007

Gene,

I don't have any pics handy at the moment but..... bare with my half baked "
how to " scribble below.

Pic a main point thought the fuselage front to rear where the bulk of the "
Loom" will travel through all the bulk heads.

Lay out some pieces of mdf on the bench long enough for the length of the
loom and draw a line long ways through the board(s)

Determine all the off shoots from this main loom to the parts that need
wiring. eg switches lights blah blah.

mark out from the main loom line all the offshoots and there required cable
lengths  and so on till you have a fish bone looking thingy drawn out on the
board.

Nail nails every 4 inches either side of these main loom and off shoots.

determine via wiring diags howmany cores are needed and there route they
take .

Drop these cables and single cores on the board with wires numbered or
labelled.

The secret is now to neaten up the loom so its nice and round with no
twisted or overlapping cables,

Cable tie loom now

Trim the ends of each off shoot even then terminate in plugs or terminals.

pickup new loom and associated plugs and then have fun wiggling it through
all the bulk heads, if your measurements are correct everything should just
drop into place and look a million bucks!

I hope I have not now just told everyone how to suck eggs, the above process
has done me for 2 aircraft wiring jobs, many big generators and a rally car.
works a treat !

hope my dribble helps

Ben