[simpits-tech] Cockpit builders quote....

Steve Wilson steve at virchitecture.com
Sun Mar 25 13:50:53 PDT 2007

The downside to going with the SCUBA tank is that you have to be SCUBA
certified or to know someone who is in order to get it filled.  Said tank
would need to be hydrostatically tested periodically whether you dove or
not.  The allowable capacity goes down over time to allow for structural
fatigue.

The upside is that you have no loud compressor to run, and the air is
professionally filtered for you by a professionally maintained compressor
and very dry.

But why worry about air supply anyway?  If you're smart, you're sure not
going to be brave enough to run an O2 mix, and if you modify the intake hose
properly, you can breathe through the mask without having air supplied under
pressure.  There really isn't that much difference between breathing air
from a tank and ambient air when you're on the ground.  You'd probably want
to put a particulate filter on the feed end of the hose, but otherwise, it's
just one more project to accomplish and then maintain, taking away from
flight time.