[simpits-tech] MSFS Visuals

David C. Allen allendc at qwest.net
Sat Jan 6 09:38:24 PST 2007

Hi Alan
I am just using Autodesk Inventor
I added a few more images and corrected some, so that they are maybe
easier to understand

Original image
http://www.737flightsim.com/Misc/ViewPointPart2E.jpg

Added image :
Removed the -15 degree cutoff so the whole runway can be seen
http://www.737flightsim.com/Misc/ViewPointPart2E0.jpg

Changed the Pilot and copilot eye points to spheres to try and better
represent the pilots eye points
http://www.737flightsim.com/Misc/ViewPointPart2E1.jpg

Removed the -15 degree cutoff so the whole runway can be seen
http://www.737flightsim.com/Misc/ViewPointPart2E2A.jpg

This image has the -15 degree cutoff:
http://www.737flightsim.com/Misc/ViewPointPart2E2.jpg

In the 737 the pilots eye point is approximately 147 inches above and
perpendicular to the runway surface. The distance between the pilot
and copilot's eye point is 40 inches. From the pilots eye point the
lower front windshield frames obscures (15 degree cutoff angle)
approximately 549 inches of runway directly in front of the aircraft.
The upper windshield cuts of the field of view at approximately 18
degrees. So it becomes easy to define the area that the pilots can
view, but it is unclear how to adjust MSFS to represent the same views.

My thoughts is to find group of people who know scenery design, and
could implement special airports, like AB380 or B737-700. The
airports would have an alignment area. I envision you putting the
nose wheel on a mark and then adjusting the MSFS view until you have
the proper eye height and field of view.

David