[simpits-tech] Shop has finally started!

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Fri Sep 1 09:20:39 PDT 2006

>>> I do believe he is taking the piss !
>>>
>> Well that makes about as much sense as a duck with swimming trunks on. :)
>
> Ah, a brit expression I suspect. Taking the piss is, "taking the mickey",
> "having a laugh", making fun of, and so on.

That's what I figured, but I couldn't pass on winding you up a bit. :)

>>> At least I _understand_ the 1950's gear!!
>>>
>> That's good to hear.  Did you ever get that keyboard connected to
>> Colossus? *gd&r*
>
> They've finally finished Colossus!??

Yep. 10 gazillion valves, no waiting!

> Must admit I'm a little worried about the robustness of the phidgets dll.
> The newer versions periodically go tits up when I'm using a single servo
> board. The older version I've stuck to - doesn't.

That's no good.  I don't know if Leo is building any servo drivers
though.  Then again, I haven't had a chance to peruse his whole product
line yet.

I recently found a post-MSIP II BIT (built in test) panel for the F-15
that has two extra indicator pairs and a few more used positions on the
rotary switch.  Since the first one was built with the Phidget, I just
may rebuild this one with one of Leo's goodies.  I don't know if the
boards can sink the kind of current that incandescents can draw, so I
may have to build a transistor board to handle the actual load.  Should
prove interesting.

One of the packages I've purchased to use with the SB is called DeskCNC.
It understands how to process Gerber & drill files into G-Code so I'll
be able to use the SB to produce my own PCBs.  If I'm careful with
registration holes I should be able to produce double sided boards as
well.  That's going to be a lot of fun.  I hate etching my own boards
and the one-off prices at normal PCB houses are insane.

"I'm not crazy, I'm plausibly off-nominal!"