[simpits-tech] Kind of off-topic, but...

Simon Bennett servantofcthulhu at hotmail.com
Sun Feb 12 12:13:47 PST 2006

Everyone who replied, thank you. I've been sort of dreading this part of the
project since the start; I don't want to take up too much of anyone's time.

The reason I'm doing this is that I'm attending a community college, and
they have a special program for all of the high school dropouts in the area
that lets them complete their high school education while simultaneously
working for a 2-year degree. And the program pays for all of their tuition.
Now, I was homeschooled out of state, so I never had any credit towards a
high school diploma, and I'm too old to go back to a "regular" high school
(and I wouldn't even if it was a choice) so I grabbed this opportunity the
instant I heard about it.

Because the program is apparently designed primarily for HS dropouts in
their late teens\early twenties with drug problems, often lengthy criminal
records, and no ambition to speak of, they make everyone in this program
take two mandatory classes; the second (which I'm taking now) forces you to
"explore" a career field of their choice through assignments like this one,
since a lot of these people don't think any further ahead than to where they
might find their next joint. I went with aviation since it's something I'm
truly passionate about.

If I sound a little bitter, I guess I am, because I already know where I
want to go and how, and this class takes up valuable time that would be
better spent getting my degree, which is electronics. But beggers can't be
choosers, so I guess I'd better just put up with it.

Anyway, now that I'm done with my rant, does anyone mind if I use their
name? Part of the project involves writing a research paper, and I know we
have to cite the people we've interviewed.

Here's the list of questions we're supposed to ask:

What, exactly, do you do for a living and who do you work for?

What are your responsibilities?

What parts of your job make it worth doing for you?

What are some of the frustrations you face?

What are some of the fun parts about your job?

What kind of training did you need to get where you are today?

What jobs did you hold before that led to your current position?

What made you choose to pursue a career in this field?

What kind of salary can someone in your career field expect to make, on
average?

What advice would you give to someone attempting to follow a similar career
path?

Thanks again for offering your help. I really appreciate it.