[simpits-tech] Kind of off-topic, but...

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Sun Feb 12 21:16:55 PST 2006

On Sunday 12 February 2006 15:13, Simon Bennett fired a shotgun at the
keyboard and the following appeared:
> Everyone who replied, thank you. I've been sort of dreading this part of
> the project since the start; I don't want to take up too much of anyone's
> time.
>
> The reason I'm doing this is that I'm attending a community college, and
> they have a special program for all of the high school dropouts in the area
> that lets them complete their high school education while simultaneously
> working for a 2-year degree. And the program pays for all of their tuition.
> Now, I was homeschooled out of state, so I never had any credit towards a
> high school diploma, and I'm too old to go back to a "regular" high school
> (and I wouldn't even if it was a choice) so I grabbed this opportunity the
> instant I heard about it.
<snip>

	OK, even more off topic, but I thought I should say something here. As I
understand it, a diploma only requires endorsement and signature from whoever
conducted your education. In the case of homeschoolers, this is usually your
mom. I think most colleges are more concerned with transcripts/grades than
they are a piece of paper. In my case, I was homeschooled for my entire
education except for 6th grade and part of 5th. My teacher (my mom) kept
records of what courses and curriculum I took, extra-curricular activities
(such as field trips and P.E.), and my grades. I also took a standardized
national test, the "Iowa Achievement" tests, at various points in my
education, and I took the SAT test. I later attended a local 2-year college
and got an associate's degree (in "Aviation Flight - Airway Science",
actually), no special programs or provisions needed. I believe the college
reviewed only my SAT scores and our transcripts, not the Iowa test scores.
	For my highschool completion, my mom ordered a diploma blank, filled it out
with the relevant information, and signed it. But the college never even
looked at my diploma, all they were concerned with were our aforementioned
records.
	My mom is not certified or accredited in any way to teach. She did use
specific published books from sources such as Bob Jones University Press,
Saxon Publishers, and A Beka Books. However, the actual structure of the
courses I took, while influenced by the structure of various publishers'
series, was ultimately her decision.
	So anyway.......if you took the SAT test or other standardized tests, you
might check around some colleges and see just what exactly their enrollment
requirements are. Do you have written records of your grades, courses, etc?
Even without that, perhaps presenting test scores from SAT or some
standardized tests you took would get you out of your current annoying class
that you don't want to take. :)

	-Matt Bailey