[simpits-tech] Controlling synchros

Simon Bennett servantofcthulhu at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 7 17:22:47 PDT 2005

>From: Gene Buckle <geneb at deltasoft.com>
>To: Simulator Cockpit tech list <simpits-tech at simpits.org>
>Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] Controlling synchros
>Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 17:27:04 -0700
>
>>>Thanks for the heads-up.  The radar panel is from an F-15, but it's for
>>>an APG-63, not the APG-63(v)1 that I need.  There's quite a difference
>>>between the two panels.  The guy did have and F-15 ECM panel that I've
>>>been chasing for years though. :)
>>

>>Hey, happy to help. I know BPB Surplus also had one of those for sale a
>>while ago... no idea if it's still there.
>>
>That's ok.  I got out-bid on it though.  Pisses me off royally since the
>only people that could actually have a _need_ for that box is me and the
>USAF.  :)

Damn, that's too bad. I hope you find another one. Forgive my momentary
brown-nosing, but I really do think you have THE coolest 'pit on the face of
the planet. I'm kind of biased, though. I was absolutely nutty about the
F-15 when I was little (the only plane I obsessed over more was the B-17),
and I guess I still feel some of that. What you are doing is simply awesome.

>>Since you're the resident F-15 expert... if you don't mind me asking, how
>>much do you know about the APG-63 and its modes, and the way this panel
>>works? Some of the stuff on that panel is kind of mysterious to me. POWER,
>>RANGE, EL SCAN, and AZ SCAN are self-explanatory, but I don't have any
>>real clue what FRAME STORE does. For the SPL MODE switch I only recognize
>>FLOOD, from LOMAC. I've got no idea how MODE CONTR works. MODE SEL is less
>>confusing. For the A/A modes, LRS and SRS are Long Range Scan and Short
>>Range Scan I'm guessing? VS is what, Vertical Scan? PULSE, I've got no
>>idea how that works. Or BCN, for that matter.
>>
>Well BCN is Beacon. :)  The only docs I have cover the APG-63(V)1 which is
>vastly different from the panel you've got there.  You might want to ask on
>the Lomac forums if you can get past the S/N ratio. :)

It's worth a try, but I doubt I'd find anything. It's hard to find anyone on
those forums who really knows what they're talking about. If they did, the
constant threads about the F-15C's obsolescence would never get started. :)

>>I'm not too concerned with figuring out the A/G modes since LOMAC doesn't
>>use them and they'd probably be impossible to model in FS2004.
>>
>No, but FlightGear and X-Plane could handle it ok.

Eh, one thing at a time, I guess. I want to tackle FS2004 before I try any
other software, simply because I know how to use it and I already have a
copy tweaked the way I want it.

>>One last thing, do you know how I let this panel? Is it EL or are there
>>lamps under it?
>>
>There is a single connector on the back and it's lit via 5VDC internally.
>Do NOT exceed 5v!

Ah, ok.  I think I see in the pictures. I'll have to wait until I get the
panel to really think about it.

>>Thanks for all the syncro advice. For this lightplate I'm not going to
>>care about getting the correct knobs or the BAND/CHAN bits since I don't
>>think it'd be possible to find them. The knobs don't really matter since I
>>wasn't planning on modelling my pit after any particular aircraft, either.
>>As long as I can find rotary switches that work like they should I'll be
>>happy.
>>
>The BAND indicator is just that. It's a configuration that's set on the
>ground and isn't under pilot control.  I don't know exactly what it's about
>since it's in the 34-1-1-1 which I don't have.
>
>g.

Thanks anyway. I think this panel is going to be very convenient for LOMAC.
Now all I need to do is finish designing the actual cockpit frame, and build
it...