[simpits-tech] Controlling synchros

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Mon Jun 6 18:27:04 PDT 2005

>> Thanks for the heads-up.  The radar panel is from an F-15, but it's
>> for an APG-63, not the APG-63(v)1 that I need.  There's quite a
>> difference between the two panels.  The guy did have and F-15 ECM
>> panel that I've been chasing for years though. :)
>

> Hey, happy to help. I know BPB Surplus also had one of those for sale a
> while ago... no idea if it's still there.

That's ok.  I got out-bid on it though.  Pisses me off royally since the
only people that could actually have a _need_ for that box is me and the
USAF.  :)

> Since you're the resident F-15 expert... if you don't mind me asking,
> how much do you know about the APG-63 and its modes, and the way this
> panel works? Some of the stuff on that panel is kind of mysterious to
> me. POWER, RANGE, EL SCAN, and AZ SCAN are self-explanatory, but I don't
> have any real clue what FRAME STORE does. For the SPL MODE switch I only
> recognize FLOOD, from LOMAC. I've got no idea how MODE CONTR works. MODE
> SEL is less confusing. For the A/A modes, LRS and SRS are Long Range
> Scan and Short Range Scan I'm guessing? VS is what, Vertical Scan?
> PULSE, I've got no idea how that works. Or BCN, for that matter.

Well BCN is Beacon. :)  The only docs I have cover the APG-63(V)1 which
is vastly different from the panel you've got there.  You might want to
ask on the Lomac forums if you can get past the S/N ratio. :)

> I'm not too concerned with figuring out the A/G modes since LOMAC
> doesn't use them and they'd probably be impossible to model in FS2004.

No, but FlightGear and X-Plane could handle it ok.

> One last thing, do you know how I let this panel? Is it EL or are there
> lamps under it?

There is a single connector on the back and it's lit via 5VDC
internally.  Do NOT exceed 5v!

> Thanks for all the syncro advice. For this lightplate I'm not going to
> care about getting the correct knobs or the BAND/CHAN bits since I don't
> think it'd be possible to find them. The knobs don't really matter since
> I wasn't planning on modelling my pit after any particular aircraft,
> either. As long as I can find rotary switches that work like they should
> I'll be happy.

The BAND indicator is just that. It's a configuration that's set on the
ground and isn't under pilot control.  I don't know exactly what it's
about since it's in the 34-1-1-1 which I don't have.

"I'm not crazy, I'm plausibly off-nominal!"
Proud owner of 80-0007
http://www.f15sim.com - The only of its kind.