[simpits-tech] Controlling synchros

Simon Bennett servantofcthulhu at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 5 19:03:51 PDT 2005

>From: Gene Buckle <geneb at deltasoft.com>
>To: Simulator Cockpit tech list <simpits-tech at simpits.org>
>Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] Controlling synchros
>Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 08:52:36 -0700
>

>To be honest with you, I'm not sure.  I've only seen it done, not done it
>myself.

I guess I'll have to wait and try whichever I can get my hands on first.
There were a bunch of control transmitters on eBay, but were all either the
wrong frequency or the wrong voltage...

>>Gene, did you know there's a F-15 radar panel lightplate on eBay? Or is
>>that something you already have? If you don't want it, I think I might buy
>>it, assuming no one here has beaten me to it... it's just the lightplate,
>>though, none of the hardware.
>>

>Thanks for the heads-up.  The radar panel is from an F-15, but it's for an
>APG-63, not the APG-63(v)1 that I need.  There's quite a difference between
>the two panels.  The guy did have and F-15 ECM panel that I've been chasing
>for years though. :)

Hey, happy to help. I know BPB Surplus also had one of those for sale a
while ago... no idea if it's still there.

I decided to buy the radar panel, since it would be great for LOMAC.

Since you're the resident F-15 expert... if you don't mind me asking, how
much do you know about the APG-63 and its modes, and the way this panel
works? Some of the stuff on that panel is kind of mysterious to me. POWER,
RANGE, EL SCAN, and AZ SCAN are self-explanatory, but I don't have any real
clue what FRAME STORE does. For the SPL MODE switch I only recognize FLOOD,
from LOMAC. I've got no idea how MODE CONTR works. MODE SEL is less
confusing. For the A/A modes, LRS and SRS are Long Range Scan and Short
Range Scan I'm guessing? VS is what, Vertical Scan? PULSE, I've got no idea
how that works. Or BCN, for that matter.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm not too concerned with figuring out the A/G modes since LOMAC doesn't
use them and they'd probably be impossible to model in FS2004.

One last thing, do you know how I let this panel? Is it EL or are there
lamps under it?

Thanks for all the syncro advice. For this lightplate I'm not going to care
about getting the correct knobs or the BAND/CHAN bits since I don't think
it'd be possible to find them. The knobs don't really matter since I wasn't
planning on modelling my pit after any particular aircraft, either. As long
as I can find rotary switches that work like they should I'll be happy.

>>At least I know the lamps work; they light up nicely but only show up
>>really brightly in near total darkness. They're red. It's only the most
>>basic of achievements, but hell, it still makes me feel proud of myself.
>>
>Wait till it moves. :)

Yeah, I'll probably be waiting a while. ;) Still need to find an inverter.
And the money for it.