[simpits-tech] Fed up with MS etc... Maybe New Sim

Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net
Mon Jan 24 11:41:01 PST 2005

At 11:08 AM 1/24/2005, you wrote:
>On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:53:11 -0600
>Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net wrote:
>
> > Hi gang....
> > Are feed up with MS Flight sim and others? Need info cant get it..
> > want to do something different..
> > Want to get rid of EPIC cards and more crap...
> > What freedom to do what you want to do?
> >
> > Ok then please look at my NOTAM notice for Software under development.
> > www.phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim/notams.shtml
> > www.phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim/software.shtml
> >
> > I need to know what's cool and what's not.
>

>I see you listed FlightGear on that page...
>
>The point "can't talk to it" is definately not valid for FlightGear.
>There are a bunch of methods to get data in and out of the simulator.
>
>While flightgear is "monolythic" in the sense that everything is
>compiled into the main binary, it can be used sort of "modular".

Not Not Realy

>Most of the things you describe on that page can already be done, -OR-
>could be implemented in/for FlightGear.
>
>Making it modular in the sense of "multiple binaries, each doing their
>own specific task" (ie flight dynamics, environment, systems, ...)
>has one disadvantage though... and that is communication between the
>individual modules. This additional layer of communications would slow
>the whole thing down.

1. No Not At all when I worked on the X-29, cockpit integration, we were
doing 50/60hz frame rates, and that my friend was along time ago.
2. Jets have been fly around by fly by wire for more than a few years, and
have been using mil-1553 which runs at 1mb. or AIRINC-429. etc
3. The bus structure for the 777 etc. is AFDX Switched Ethernet. You just
send / listen for UDP messages.
not a problem for 10baseT (thats 10x over 1553/429), you want faster
100baseT, or Fiber.
4. and the advantage that you did not see is that you dont like a module?
Take it out, replace it with software, or hardware.

>Writing a new sim from scratch, even with lots of stuff already
>adaptable (fgfs scenery, simgear library, a few fdms) is still a huge
>task and will most likely involve years of work.

maybe but most likely I'll have the first cut, up in a few months. (we
write a lot of code in C/C++/FORTRAN/Perl/and a little Java), and it would
just be the core modules, Pilot, FD, INS, NAV.
we are working on the message format right now, and message viewer..