[simpits-tech] Fed up with MS etc... Maybe New Sim

Manuel Bessler manuel at varxec.de
Mon Jan 24 18:08:54 PST 2005

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 16:53:11 -0600
Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net wrote:

> Hi gang....
> Are feed up with MS Flight sim and others? Need info cant get it..
> want to do something different..
> Want to get rid of EPIC cards and more crap...
> What freedom to do what you want to do?
>
> Ok then please look at my NOTAM notice for Software under development.
> www.phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim/notams.shtml
> www.phoenixcomm.net/~phnx2000/sim/software.shtml
>
> I need to know what's cool and what's not.

I see you listed FlightGear on that page...

The point "can't talk to it" is definately not valid for FlightGear.
There are a bunch of methods to get data in and out of the simulator.

While flightgear is "monolythic" in the sense that everything is
compiled into the main binary, it can be used sort of "modular".

Most of the things you describe on that page can already be done, -OR-
could be implemented in/for FlightGear.

Making it modular in the sense of "multiple binaries, each doing their
own specific task" (ie flight dynamics, environment, systems, ...)
has one disadvantage though... and that is communication between the
individual modules. This additional layer of communications would slow
the whole thing down.

Writing a new sim from scratch, even with lots of stuff already
adaptable (fgfs scenery, simgear library, a few fdms) is still a huge
task and will most likely involve years of work.

Manuel