[simpits-tech] Fed up with MS etc... Maybe New Sim

Manuel Bessler manuel at varxec.de
Mon Jan 24 22:49:56 PST 2005

On Mon, 24 Jan 2005 11:41:01 -0600
Phoenix2000 at phoenixcomm.net wrote:
> >The point "can't talk to it" is definately not valid for FlightGear.
> >There are a bunch of methods to get data in and out of the simulator.
> >
> >While flightgear is "monolythic" in the sense that everything is
> >compiled into the main binary, it can be used sort of "modular".
>
> Not Not Realy

> >the individual modules. This additional layer of communications would
> >slow the whole thing down.

OK, maybe I understood you wrong... I thought you meant the whole
simulator as individual modules. What you write below sounds more like
you meant to modularize the "systems simulation only".

On that I totally agree. I was planning on writing some code for an
external system simulation (for homecockpit sim use).
... when I'm "done" with my hardware and interface software.

For the purposes of simulating aircraft systems (electrical, pneumatic,
hydraulic, and the whole logics behind them) it'd be great to run this
outside the actual flight simulator engine.

The simulator would fill in the part of "the real world" and its forces
and stuff, like 3D inside/outside views, winds, and forces/physics of
the environment acting upon the aircraft.

> 1. No Not At all when I worked on the X-29, cockpit integration, we
> were doing 50/60hz frame rates, and that my friend was along time ago.
> 2. Jets have been fly around by fly by wire for more than a few years,
> and have been using mil-1553 which runs at 1mb. or AIRINC-429. etc
> 3. The bus structure for the 777 etc. is AFDX Switched Ethernet. You
> just send / listen for UDP messages.
> not a problem for 10baseT (thats 10x over 1553/429), you want faster
> 100baseT, or Fiber.
> 4. and the advantage that you did not see is that you dont like a
> module? Take it out, replace it with software, or hardware.

OK, so if I'm right, all you want could be written to use flighgear as
the 3D view and physics simulation, while all systems can be written as
external modules.
There are alot of interfaces into flightgear, and another one can be
written easily.

Of course if things are kept somewhat indepentent, the systems
simulation software modules could be plugged in to another simulator.

> >Writing a new sim from scratch, even with lots of stuff already
> >adaptable (fgfs scenery, simgear library, a few fdms) is still a huge
> >task and will most likely involve years of work.
>
> maybe but most likely I'll have the first cut, up in a few months. (we
>
> write a lot of code in C/C++/FORTRAN/Perl/and a little Java), and it
> would just be the core modules, Pilot, FD, INS, NAV.
> we are working on the message format right now, and message viewer..

What platform are you doing this on ?
Unix/Linux ?

Will it be free software/open source ?

Regards,