[simpits-tech] Next question

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Fri Jul 16 17:44:36 PDT 2004

On Friday 16 July 2004 02:24 pm, Fred Mahone wrote:
> OK, I have been following the questions and comments about analog and
> digital joysticks and throttles.
>
> Now the question, Are there any circuits that can take linear and rotary
> motion and convert it to a computer compatible signal,
> be better than potentiometers, and remember the position so the control
> does not have to be re-calibrated each time you start?
>
> I have looked at various schemes, hall effect, optical sensors, variable
> capacitors and have not seen anything that is as good as a position sensing
> potentiometer like used to send position to an electronic ignition in a
> car. I would guess there are probably ones based on stress to some element
> but have not found any, as yet.

	Interesting....as I have mentioned, the optical gear on my Sidewinder never
drifts or anything. Come to think of it, I never have to calibrate the stick
twist axis either, which I assume is just a standard potentiometer (it does
jitter noticeably....not bad, but noticeable).
	If USB works as well for gaming devices as I hear, potentiometers would
probably be fine as long as they are of high quality and are kept clean.

	-Matt Bailey