[simpits-tech] Next question

Marv De Beque mdebeque at woh.rr.com
Fri Jul 16 18:40:45 PDT 2004

Linear and rotary motion can be best detected with LVDT.  Essentially, it is
an 3-coil AC transformer that has a magnetically permeable slug.  The
downside is the electrical interface is a little complicated, but they are
extremely accurate and the longevity is nearly infinite.

Hall Effect generally looks for a reversal of the magnetic field and
measures the magnitude of the differential.  Interfacing is pretty simple
since the Hall Effect produces a linear voltage output.  Some care must be
taken with the mechanical design to insure a true linear response.

Capacitance works with small changes in distance, but I think it has the
potential to be finicky.

The problem with position sensing pots is the longevity stinks.  You can get
precision pots that have better lifespan.  They are simple to interface.

Marv