[simpits-tech] Next question

Fred Mahone fred.mahone at vt.edu
Fri Jul 16 16:24:12 PDT 2004

OK, I have been following the questions and comments about analog and
digital joysticks and throttles.

Now the question, Are there any circuits that can take linear and rotary
motion and convert it to a computer compatible signal,
be better than potentiometers, and remember the position so the control
does not have to be re-calibrated each time you start?

I have looked at various schemes, hall effect, optical sensors, variable
capacitors and have not seen anything that is as good as a position sensing
potentiometer like used to send position to an electronic ignition in a
car. I would guess there are probably ones based on stress to some element
but have not found any, as yet.

My Bell cyclic pivot will have two linear movements, the anti-torque will
be either rotary or linear (I can go either way), collective will be
rotary, and if I add the throttle, linear.

Any web site information would be appreciated.

Fred Mahone