[simpits-tech] Question

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Wed Jul 7 12:33:01 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 07 July 2004 11:19 am, Gene Buckle wrote:
> > I have looked at getting one of the overhead projector lcd screens that
> > come up at Tech's surplus auctions. Often, there is nothing wrong with
> > the unit other than the resolution is not enough for newer software or
> > they have gone to the larger three crt units mounted to the ceiling.
> >
> > How well do these units work for flight simming? Not fast enough, too
> > poor of a resolution?
>
> Frank, the pics I posted of the car sim Rob and I built last weekend uses
> an 800x600 LCD panel atop a 4000 Lumen 3M overhead projector.  The panel
> works really well.  The important part is whether or not the panel uses a
> TFT (thin film something or other) LCD.  These are fast displays and are
> usable for simming.  I've _never_ seen an 800x600 panel that wasn't TFT so
> you should be ok.  Avoild the 640x480 units.  They're basically useless
> for our purposes.
>
> I am looking for more of them, so if you find a cache of used ones for a
> reasonable price, please let me know.

	The LCD panel idea has always appealed to me, seems like a cheap(er) way to
do projection, plus it allows use of really bright overhead projectors
instead of being stuck with whatever's in an LCD projector. Where did you get
yours? Ebay?
	I also recall seeing a page that discussed using LCD panels from laptops (I
think), with frensel lenses. They made this somewhat large wood box they
mounted everything in, took the "default" backlighting off the LCD panel, and
used some sort of bright bulb behind the panel. Looked like a very slick and
potentially high-quality method.

	-Matt Bailey