[simpits-tech] Interesting stuff...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Fri Jul 2 23:54:40 PDT 2004

> Where'd you get the DB-15 bulkhead plates?  This was exactly how I wanted to
> do my wiring, having everything centrally located to facilitate trouble
> shooting and upgrades.  I'd be very interested in seeing your progress on
> your web site.

They're DE25, not -15.  The bulkhead plates will be hand fabricated.  A
Greenlee punch for a DE25 shape is about $400.  I'm going to hand-nibble
equivalents into thin sheet metal stock.

> It turns out that over at viperpit.org, I was lucky enough to have Mike
> Powell help me out with some electronics projects.  I'm trying to collect as
> many real parts as possible and then fabricate the others.  A bunch of the
> indicator lights are all 28 volts, but most signaling voltages are 5 volts.
> He designed a circuit for me so that I can use the 5 volt signals to light
> the 28 volt lamps.  Those which I have to build myself will probably use a

That's a lot of work for not much return.  You can drive all those 28V
lamps from a Phidget or EPIC output module with ease.  FYI, don't chase
down a 28VDC power supply - I'm using 24VDC supplies and they work really
well.  You can get a high-amperage supply from eBay fairly cheap.  I just
picked up a 200A 5VDC supply for less than $30 last month.