[simpits-tech] Interesting stuff...

Joseph Fagner falcon4 at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jul 2 22:59:11 PDT 2004

Where'd you get the DB-15 bulkhead plates?  This was exactly how I wanted to
do my wiring, having everything centrally located to facilitate trouble
shooting and upgrades.  I'd be very interested in seeing your progress on
your web site.

It turns out that over at viperpit.org, I was lucky enough to have Mike
Powell help me out with some electronics projects.  I'm trying to collect as
many real parts as possible and then fabricate the others.  A bunch of the
indicator lights are all 28 volts, but most signaling voltages are 5 volts.
He designed a circuit for me so that I can use the 5 volt signals to light
the 28 volt lamps.  Those which I have to build myself will probably use a
lower voltage LED or whatnot.  In any case, I can use the 5 volt signal for
any voltage.  He designed it using Darlington transistor arrays to sink the
current to the indicator lamps.  He also showed me how to use hex inverters
where needed to flip the logic signal depending on its output state.  Very
cool stuff, I learned a lot.  This has me thinking about going the EPIC
route for my pit to try and keep the number of interfaces to a minimum.
There's also a chap over there whose got a buddy writing up software to use
phidgets.  That is my biggest hurdle is writing the software as I don't know
a damn thing as to how to code software.  I'm hoping to start hull
fabrication this year.  Looks like we got ourselves access to some accurate
dimensions and I learned how to work with metal some this past winter by
signing up for a welding class.

Hope to start a web site soon.

Jay