[simpits-tech] Interesting stuff...

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Fri Jul 2 16:41:58 PDT 2004

> What happened that has you rewiring everything.  Did I miss that?

I wasn't wiring it correctly.  It would _work_, but it wouldn't be
_right_.  I'm early enough in the initial wiring that I decided that in
the long run I would be better off if I tore it all out and started over.

I'll be able to re-use a lot of it so it won't be wasted though.

One of the big corrections that will be made is how I run wire from the
side consoles.  Instead of passing wire through the old connector holes,
I'm going to build a left and right harness that will connect to a series
of DE25 connectors on a bulkhead plate.  It's the "proper" way to pass a
large number of wires through a major bulkhead.  So far, the left side has
10 DE25 connectors, which is 250 wires.  I'm 80% done with the schematics
for that side and I expect the end count will be 15 connectors.

I'm using the DE25 connectors instead of the bigger cannon plugs since I
can get crimp-pin for about $1 each, where the high pin count cannon plugs
run about $80 without any pins.

When the schematics are done, I'll draw the harness out in full scale on
kraft paper.  That'll get taped to a jig board and I'll lay all the wire
out along the drawings.  I'll use nylon wire-ties at some points to hold
the bundles in place when I'm not working on it and right before I start
installing connectors on it, I'll get it all laced up.