[simpits-tech] making our own PANELS

Marv De Beque mdebeque at woh.rr.com
Thu Jan 1 15:35:10 PST 2004

Jim,

You are pretty close to being on-track with your idea.  The correct way to
letter the panels is via laser engraving.

Your actual cost is going to depend on the amount of effort and time the
engraver will spend to get the engraving correctly setup.  Setup costs will
be a one time learning curve and a batch run setup, too.

There is also one other hurdle that you didn't mention.  That is the
painting.  The paint must be a precise thickness for a variety of reasons,
including part of the engraving process.

Also, proximity placement of the LEDs with respect to the glyphs (letters)
and symbols is also critical.  Expect two or more iterations for each panel
you develop to "get it right"

I suspect that the real panels might be molded as opposed to machined, but
then again, I have seen some machining steps used for such items because the
molds are too expensive.  However, molding would be a more consistent and
speedier way to make panels.

I think that the plastic used for the panels is actually transparent.
Translucent material is a poor light pipe in my experience.

I like the PC board idea with the LEDs soldered directly to the board.  This
way you can save money with a surface mount LED.  You can get boards as thin
as 0.010".  Probably 0.032" would be sufficient.

In the end, I would think that the total cost will be much higher than you
think.  I don't think any one step is really a killer in price, but there
are so many steps that the sum will not be cheap.

As far as dimensions for all of the panels, I used the Lockheed-Martin F-16C
Block 52 drawing that is posted somewhere around the net.  It is not scaled
quite right, but knowing the Dzus rail pitch of 0.375" and the rail widths,
you can easily make any corrections to the drawing.  That is what I did.  It
takes a lot of time, but it isn't rocket science to do it.

Marv