[simpits-tech] making our own PANELS

Jim K. JimK at sisna.com
Thu Jan 1 12:07:59 PST 2004

Hi All,

As we all know the odds of all of us locating real light panels for all the
instruments in the pit is about 0%.

So I've tried to find some panel makers out there on the web and there are
a few but I thought I'd check to see how difficult it would be to make our
own panels.

Let me start this off and say if we can't make super high quality looking
panels then its not worth the effort and would be easier to just buy the
panels online from one of the panel makers.

So I've taken apart a real NVIS Illuminated light plate panel.   Its
actually a rather simple design.   We could actually make them just like
real panels but this might be an easier method.   Now I don't have a
drawing for this so you'll just have to picture this all in your
head.  :-)   I have pictures there all the time.  hehehehe.  Goooodddddddd
beeerrrrrrrrr.

You get a 1/4" thick piece of translucent milky white plastic.  You mill it
down to the correct size with the corner cutouts.   You also drill out the
holes where the switches would pass through.

Now you paint the top surface with a translucent white paint.   After that
you paint the whole thing a nice flat black.

Now here is the tricky part.   You need to etch the black paint on the top
to put in your lettering.   The tough part is that etching needs to only
remove the black paint.  So I imagine it needs to be done by laser
etching.   The other option is to use a more white colored plastic material
for the panel so you don't need to use that whilte paint.  But whatever
plastic you use it needs to allow light to easily pass thru it.  Anyway I
think that sign makers would probably be able to etch in the lettering.

Once the lettering is put in, then we need to work on the lighting.   LEDs
are the best for this.   Now in the real NVIS panels white LEDs are used
that have little green filter caps placed over them.  This makes the light
green and does not interfere with a pilots night vision equipment.   From
the back of the panels you drill in small holes, that do not go all the way
thru the material.  These will be where the LEDs are placed.  You need
enough of the LEDs to illuminate all the lettering and any switches that
need lighting.  You can sand off the black paint in the switch holes where
you want the light to shine thru and light up the underside of the switch/knob.

Now in the real panel the LEDs are located on a PC board that has a circuit
traced on it.  On the bottom of that is a back plate that completes the
real panel.  So in the real panel you have the top 1/4" panel.   That panel
is hollowed out a little to allow room for the slightly smaller PC board
and back plate to fit on the back and screw together.

We could do away with the PC board and just place the LEDs into those small
holes we drilled and then hard wire them all together.

Then we make a rectangular back plate out of 1/16" aluminum just like on
the real instrument.  We then make a small hole for the 2 LED wires to
stick thru.   Now if we want to be fancy we could drill a few more holes
into the back of the top plastic panel.  Then we can put in thos small nut
gizmos (which I forget the name of right now...nutserts???).   We then make
small holes in the bottom metal plate to correspond with those "nutserts"
so we can actually srew the top plastic panel onto the bottom plate.

We attach all the switches and knobs to that bottom aluminum plate just
like the real instruments.

Now i know I'm missing something here that would make this all impossible,
so please tell me where I've gone astray.

But it seems to me there are three four problems or obstacles to overcome.
1. Can we find a local person to do the engraving?
2. Will that engraving be to expensive?
3. We need the dimensions of all the panels.
4. Some panels like the landing gear panel which has some color to it might
be to tough for us to do.  But we can always buy 1 panel if we have to.

Now I'm going to post this exact same message on simpits and see what those
guys say, but give me some input here guys.

If we did this as a team we might be able to reduce some costs.  The
biggest cost is going to the lettering engraving.   On the real panel they
are photo etched or laser etched since you can't even feel the lettering
when you slide your finger over them.

What do you guys think??  Where is my thinking wrong????
Jim